Sloth Mud

This has been on my radar for a while now and I just got to trying it. Sloth mud has a multiclass system where you can level 8 classes - bard, cleric, druid, mage, monk, necromancer, thief, and warrior. The order that you gain levels in the classes does matter - you can't choose to reorder your classes once chosen. For instance, someone that has  level 40 necromancer as the first class (necromancer prime) will have stronger minions and less minion ordering lag than someone with lvl 40 necromancer as their 8th class and some spells and skills are only available for primes of a class. You'll be able to unlock the avatar class that has the most powerful abilities in the game as you level your first 8 classes. There is a huge array of spells and skills available and because most of it Is accessible to all, it opens up options for different strategies. Some abilities are also pretty unique; druids can shapeshift into a ferret (one of many forms) that most mobs don't aggro for a corpse retrieval, thieves can steal active spell effects from mobs and bards can sing the song of wealth and glory to triangulate item location by getting mobs to reveal information about items which gets more specific the closer you are to the item.

There's a large game world to explore; over 30k rooms according to live stats. You start in the newbie continent, 1 of 5 continents in the game that has areas for players till level 20. The areas that I've seen are pretty well-written. At level 1, you can playtest (help ptest) high level play of different classes - when playtesting, your char temporarily has lvl 40 in 4 classes, has high level eq and is transported to the main continent where you can experiment with all your class spells/skills. As an added bonus, you also get to keep some exp and gold gained from playtesting to jumpstart your level 1 character. I've not seen something like the playtesting feature on any other mud before, and as a newbi e, really appreciated the risk-free environment to experiment with high level abilities.

There are quests, ranging from the simple assassination kinds to more complex puzzles, but I haven't done many of these yet as I'm only level 4. Other interesting features include customizing your eq by attaching items with stats to existing items,  socketing runes to eq and astrology that has important game-world effects. There is a small playerbase (average of over a dozen chars on at any time) but players are active and happy to answer my newbie questions. It is actively being developed; msdp is currently being implemented, which will appeal to scripters.

If anyone wants to check it out, the main website is slothmud.org or if you want to jump right in, slothmud.org 6101. Set color off and turn mxp off for best results with a screen reader.