Re: shades of doom update

I don't know what you guys have against David's games. To me personally, although I have never purchased it (or used a pirated copy, as a matter of fact, I've always played it just when I was visiting a friend), Shades of Doom as well as GMA Tank Commander are one of the most interesting, immersive and especially replayable audiogames released until this day. Sure, the audio quality could be better, although GTC is better than SOD in this regard, but these two games have a very friendly interface and just incredibly atmospheric gameplay, at least in my opinion. If the game has good gameplay, I am willing to forgive the arguablybad audio to a certain great extent and even forgetabout it altogether in some cases. I don't need perfectly modern, realistic and fancy huge explosions, blood spurts and I don't know what else to be able to imagine the creepy, gloomy, chilling atmosphere of the base where the game takes place. And SOD is certainly the one game that makes the best and most extensive use of audio landmarks of allthe games I've tried so far, at least off the top of my head. However, I certainly agree that even this could be done in a much better way in today's, let's say modern audiogames, and I would definitely love to see it in action. I also agree that Swamp is somewhat lacking in this aspect.
I am definitely looking forward to the update though, and judging by what we saw in Time of Conflict 2.0, although not everyone is probably able to appreciate that, I think the list of changes is going to be pretty huge and impressive this time.

I'm not exactly sure what Seal meant by coordinate games either. Every FPS and sidescroller, and for the most part any action game that uses real-time movement, be it an audio or video game, uses coordinates, even if just internally. I think he was refering to games that do not expose this information to the player, those games where you have to rely only on auditor y and other cues to judge your current position in relation to the rest of the objects in the game world. As far as I can tell, the only game that has come as close to this as is possible in an audiogame until now is Perilous Hearts. A little digression, seeing this completed and released one day would be one of the best events that could ever happen to the audiogaming market. Even though this game is technically a sidescroller with only two dimensions, at least it does have true vertical movement along the y axis as well, or, speaking in terms of 3D games, Perilous Hearts actually has thex and z axes. Three-D Velocity and Lone Wolf are different in that they offer true 3D movement but they also provide many navigational aids and use only 2D audio as well.

And last but not least, I know we all see what we want, and everyone is perfectly capable of talking about their imaginations and wishes very passionately, but can anyone of the posters in this topic actually go ahead and im plement these fabulous ideas in reality? I think only the programmers among us can truly appreciate the difficulty of implementing complex and realistic 3D audioin practice. I tend to believe that the most friendly solution to this that seems to be coming along slowly but nicely is Camlorn Audio. Looks like a powerful but still relatively easy to understand wrapper.
Just my thoughts,
Lukas

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : seal via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Phil via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Aprone via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : mojsior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : keyIsFull via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lukas via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : shuteye via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : cw via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : kamochek via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : welshweyr via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : audioracer via Audiogames-reflector