Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

Jayde, I haven't been actively reading the forum for a few days, but I'll respond to your post about voting now, though the discussion has wandered pretty far from that. Partially, I want to explain my thoughts, and partially, I want to do anything to steer the conversation away from disabled people being considered lesser and not deserving of treatment for covid simply because they're disabled, because that legitimately upset and triggered me. And that's not something I say lightly; I think trigger warnings have become kind of a dirty term, because this is the internet and people abuse everything they can, but I digress. Also, the irony is not lost on me that I'm bringing up being triggered in the wake of a discussion on gun control, heh.

Have you, general you on this thread, ever seen the South Park episode which parodied the presidential election of 2004, where your choices were either a giant douche or a turd sandwich? Well, in this particular election, I'm less motivated to vote than ever, considering that referring to either of the current running candidates as either of those two things seems far too kind. Sure, you can vote for a party that doesn't hold any clout, but what, honestly is the point of that, other than to say you don't walk the line?

Let me be clear here. Donating to a cause, a legitimate cause, even something as simple as helping an up and coming independent artist by throwing a couple bucks their way on Bandcamp? That's all good, you can be reasonably assured that the money is going to a good place, and someone, somewhere is going to appreciate that. But voting by its very nature is a private affair. We're taught, here in the US at least, that the two things that destroy happy relationships are politics and religion, to say nothing of the fact that the act of filling out a ballot is supposed to be hush-hush, you're not supposed to directly reveal who you voted for to anyone. So...where's the reward in that, exactly? I mean, obviously, you wouldn't go screaming from the rooftops at a polling place who you voted for, but there's almost a veil of shame over the whole process, at least that's how I've always viewed it. And, guess what, we as a country have a lot to be ashamed of, as individuals and as a collective. But voting itself is not going to fix that. If I'm going to try to make a difference, then I want to focus my energy where it could matter, not on a hopeless wild goose chase where the goose has already been roasted and is currently being eaten by some fat executives who wouldn't know what it is to be hungry.