Re: Corona Virus: is it the beginning of the end?

@1032
I know I'm not supposed to say obviously screw the blind guy.  And as a blind guy I don't want that to be the case.  But the truth of the matter is that for a large number of people with disabilities, quality of life actually isn't that great.  And that does include blind people.  So, if someone has to make a subjective judgement call in the heat of the moment and the blind guy in your examples gets shafted, I understand.  Disability isn't like skin color.  If you have to ask yourself about the quality of life of two complete strangers, then "is disabled" is a good prior that it's less.  Triage isn't horrible only because someone's in the position of making this decision; it's also horrible because even the people doing it know that they're going to make wrong ones because they didn't have time to find anything out.  The name of the game here is haste, wait 5 minutes and they both die in some cases.

Sometimes the world is just sad.  I don't think people are equipped to deal with that anymore.  The world hasn't been sad in a long time.  And so it manifests as things like "disabled people have a right to care, how dare you triage against them", because nowadays we can only deal with a sad world by finding someone to blame. Triage decisions aren't about the value of people, and doctors hate making them, too.