Re: Where Are The Audio Gamers?

I think someone else touched on this already, but one thing that worries me a bit about Dusklight is the emphasis on audio. Audio is nice to be sure, but I'm not going to buy a game based on only good audio. I'll buy a game because the mechanics are engaging, the story is compelling, etc. And that's why I'm uncertain that audio gaming has a future. If you define audio gaming as a primarily audio experience with game-like aspects, that doesn't interest me a whole lot. If on the other hand, audio gaming is defined as a game first with an audio-only experience, then as audio games the best we can hope for is "Elite for blind players," or "Darkest Dungeon for blind folks," or whatever. And in both of those scenarios, I'd rather just play Elite or Darkest Dungeon directly if I can or, if I'm building something, create an Elite or Darkest Dungeon with accessibility from as close to day one as possible.

Anyway, I don't want to speculate on where Dusklight is going, but someone else noted that more information on gameplay and mechanics would be nice. Right now, audio feels front and center in the marketing, and I'm more interested in playing a game than I am in walking around an audio experience, or in playing something where the lead selling point is emersive audio and not compelling mechanics. I really want a game where I have some freedom to engage with the world. It doesn't have to be full-on open, but we've got too many "play the walking minigame until you reach the next combat minigame, or the next run through the trees minigame, etc." The loops all feel so simple, contrived, and linear. If you move beyond those, then you're entering regular game territory, and might as well just build an accessible game at that point.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lml5280 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : PitchBlack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : PitchBlack via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Erick via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lml5280 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : nolan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : lml5280 via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Erick via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Talpaiute via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Talpaiute via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : tayo . bethel via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : queenslight via Audiogames-reflector