Re: Discussion of the 2020 American Federal Election

@camlorn
I've always found that hard to understand ntm borderline distasteful and limiting, maybe you can provide some insight?

It is of upmost importance to realize that, in the vast majority of instances, the more partisan you become the more the opposing side's viewpoints begin to distort. Factor in the prevalence of media bias nowadays and you're looking at more who vote based on emotion and misinformation because their Fox or CNN prettify one over the other. You have people on the fence and pressured by association. Musicalman illustrated this eloquently ninety or so posts back.

I have close friends and family who would and will vote against my candidate of choice. I don't have to like it. I reserve the right to disagree. I reserve the right to believe they are mislead by a false agenda. I reserve the right to call them out in the hopes that I may cause them to consider a different point of view... but at some point there will be nothing more I can do, nothing more I can say before deciding to put the issue to bed.

That of course assumes I know where they fall. It is likely, probable even, that you are surrounded by those who will vote Trump but don't feel the need to worm it into interactions. So essentially what I've gotten out of this is there is a willingness to sacrifice connections, friends, family members who have made you the person you are today on the grounds of their political selection. You don't hate Trump voters in an abstract, but that fact alone is enough to drag your perception of them down and down and down even if they made significant contributions to your life?
Ok... I guess. But then where do we draw the line? They were cool for ten years but I recently figured out where they fall politically and now it's no more?
Sparing details I had this happen while I was a kid. I didn't understand much other than an uncle I had grown fond of no longer came around because he said something other people didn't like. For the sake of argument he could have been confused. Misinformed. On the fence and swayed by a single issue. It wasn't fair for me, it isn't fair for the countless number of love ones wrenched away every election cycle. It's sad, really.