Re: Curiosity about Japanese Games

BK mixes it up a bit; the first game is an exploration RPG (keep in mind that navigation is trickier there; there was a while when it first came out when a lot of people couldn't find their way out of the house, but once you get going it's fine); BK2 is more a fairly linear sidescroller (there are a few areas that subvert this, and there are secrets and puzzles throughout, but it's mostly light on the exploration).
BK3 combines all of this and some more navigation accessibility, and we have a 2D platformer where exploration and secrets are more involved, challenges get more complicated, and there are even levels in which you pilot an aircraft (I think that eventually these can get you to hidden places? I only made it to 14-4 and my save somehow got deleted, so everything after that is unknown to me.)