Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

As far as the magic/technique imbalance went, the basic problem was simply that your primary job dictated a huge amount in terms of initial startup and advancement, ie, your amount of mana/technique points, your weapon and armor skills and (I believe), the bulk of your character's stat advances, although I'm less sure of these sinse we never really got to know much about how our stats such as strenth, coordination, intelligence or creativity advanced throughout the game.

If however your secondary job had some affect on these factors, eg, ganing more mana if you had a magical job, or getting extra technique points at higher levels, that would even things out to some extent.

It is also quite possible that part of the imbalance was due to the general problem Entombed 1 had towards the end of the game of making all enemies hugely armoured hulking mountains, meaning that only spells powered by maxed out intelligence or attacks powered by maxed out strength (plus the hardest possible weapons and crytical hits),  would do any good at all.

I have no problem with the idea that a fighter/mage is less good at magic than a mage/necro or less good at combat than a fighter/assassin, however "less good" shouldn't translate to practically useless.

I think though the damage types mentioned in entombed 2 will help a lot with this, sinse it's much better to have a fighter mage who can do less of a given damage type to a target, but can still have the target affected by that damage than one who simply can't do enough damage to get through the enemy's impenitrably tough  hyde.

Then of course there is the environment question which will be a totally new aspect to gameplay, sinse I love the idea of having to think about whether it's a good idea to go all out melee monster when you risk your big tough fighter stumbling into traps they can't detect, getting jumped on by ambushing enemies or zapped by items with magical curses that they're too dumb to figure out, not to mention the new rank system providing room for other styles of combat rather than just  hammering away with the max damage possible.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : arjan via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector