Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

Dark:
The names for the class combinations shouldn't be too difficult to assemble. There's already preexisting names for most of the combinations out there in the gameworld.

As for advanced techniques, one solution would be to ensure that they don't replicate. I wasn't thinking so much of an improved backstab, but rather something like garotte, giving you both options with varying damage types.
You may be right that such advancement would be unnecessary given the gameplay to star with, but on the other hand, I still feel there's something to be said for varied means of advancement. I understand where you're coming from in that you would prefer to learn to use what you're given and develop strategies based on that rather than deal with more and more content, and that makes sense. However, I can't help but feel that being limited to a linear level progression with corresponding skill evolution defines only one path of advanceme nt within the game. While this is fine and pretty common, the most successful and interesting games are those that provide enough flexibility for advancement in a number of ways and directions. If I play the game again for replay value, I can switch up which skills I'm pursuing and classes I'm attempting, but the progression of level to level is the same, and this won't be altered by a difference in playstyle. On the other hand, if you introduce additional means of advancement and vary the way in which the game evolves from an exploration standpoint, then you get a new experience every time.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector