Re: Tentative Entombed 2 Design Decisions

@Sevrior, I agree names for specific combinations of jobs would actually be very coolin an aesthetic sense even if just as titles, though given that there were 17 different jobs in the original entombed, that is 289 different names needed, although actually coming up with those could be rather a fun challenge:D. Oh, and btw yes, a fighter/mage and a mage/fighter would need different names given one starts with all the armor expertees and just a bit of magic and the other starts with all the magic and just the flurry skill and one technique point.

I also agree about the wanderer, though I do think it'd be nice if the wanderer could learn some less normal techniques from monsters as they did in Entombed rather than just making them a total grab bag of other jobs' techniques, ---- perhaps give them two skills, an "observe" skill needed for monsters, and a less powerful "mimmic" skill needed for other jobs, and obviously having a limited number of slots for either to make you choose wisely (perhaps one new skill per 10 levels if there are to be a total of 100 in the game).

Regarding specific encounters to learn more powerful techniques or spells, to be honest I'm firstly not sure how much this is needed in the game, especially if we have more chances to find and recruit other party members later on, and even more especially if things like elemental and different weapon type damage items will be included in the game meaning that there will always be new things to discover and try out even with the set number of techniques available to you at the time.

Secondly, if the chance to find powerful spellbooks or encounter and learn from skilled enemies was! in the game, I'm not sure how well it would gell with the idea of having limited advancement in techniques, sinse hay woops you just spent several levels putting points into the backstab technique and have just learnt the improved backstab, say goodbye to th e points you just spent, (even if there are 100 levels that is still not enough for all techniques and spells in the game, and certainly not enough to waste on stuff that will be superseeded).

Therefore, either advanced techniques and spells would have to be learnt at one level and unabled to have skill points spent on them, or they would simply replace your initial spell or technnique with a buffer more advanced version, eg, mages learn an ancient spell which teaches them to cast flame burst instead of firebalt.

I also am a little concerned that given your party at one time (assuming a three character anda  pet limit), will have at most 6 out of 17 (or however many), possible jobs, you'll have rather too many opportunities running into the wrong job specific items, though this could be fixed by making a single encounter serve to give out advanced techniques for several jobs at once, eg, an ancient spellbook has learnable spells for mages, necromancers, heale rs, shamn or druid (although it'd be hard to think of ways that jobs such as bard or fortune teller might advance in this respect).

I don't know, I'm not against the advanced techniques idea, but personally I hope that advancing through the dungeon will be more than interesting enough with it's multi damage items, extra rescuable characters, need to search for treasure, and greater chance of traps and curses without needing so many new toys to play with to hold the player's interest, as from an over all game progression perspective I always find it more interesting to think about countering what new stuff the enemies do than playing with what new stuff I have myself against the same old attacks.

  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : garrett via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Dingo via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : Sevrior via Audiogames-reflector
  • ... AudioGames . net Forum — General Game Discussion : jaybird via Audiogames-reflector