I tried a whole bunch of things including

- disabling 12.2880 osc (yes it's okay to do this - 32/48Khz will just
not work)
- reclocking s/pdif with a discrete flip-flop
- dedicating a linear regulator to the oscillator
- moving the s/pdif signal off of the 74hcu04
- using external 5v linear supply

Will have more detailed measurements later, but basically the easiest
tweak (changing PS) seems to account for the vast majority of the
improvement. below 1ns we are approaching the lower bound of what I can
measure - SB2's output actually measures lower jitter than the reference
signal generated by the analyzer.

--
seanadams