cliveb Wrote:
> Your argument seems to be based on the assumption that CDs are rarely
> read correctly, and error concealment is required most of the time.
> This assumption is incorrect.

OK, can I point you at this web site that lists all the CDs with
deliberately error-laden data to try to fool computer CD drives. It is
not an incorrect assumption but a well-documented one with several
sites reporting deliberately corrupted CDs, usually by missing out
informatrion such as time-stamps.

http://ukcdr.org/issues/cd/bad/#uk

I have had to return discs that won't play in my car because of these
types of copy protection. Zero 7 was the last one. Furthermore I wasn't
suggesting in any way that error correction was happening all of the
time, just some of the time.

It's also in the New Scientist:

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn998

It's going to get worse, audio quality will be degraded in order to
stop discs being read in computer drives.

--
CardinalFang