cliveb Wrote:
> Those CDs include deliberate uncorrectable errors, and rely on the CD
> player's interpolation algorithms to conceal them. So how do you plan
> on copying them to your hard disk?

Data drives also have more capabilities than audio only drives. Offline
rather than real-time allows you to spend more time and processing power
to make corrections or gather the correct data. For example, tools like
IsoBuster can often recover audio data that a CD player can't by
applying many different types of error correction or data retrieval.

They are not misunderstandings, they are an educated point of view
based on available information and my experience of electronics and
software. My supposed misunderstanding about CD players needing to use
error correction more often than you would say is entirely correct for
many new discs - Philips back this up by asking for discs with these
errors to remove CD logo. CD Drives in PC and ripping software use
different methods to extract the audio data than a CD player, Red Book
or not. CDs degrade from scratches and oxidation. An up-front rip when
new will stand the test of time.

--
CardinalFang