ezkcdude Wrote:
> It seems to me that maybe the best compromise between safety,
> reliability, and sound is to get a 5.0V 1.0A linear, regulated power
> supply. Am I correct in assuming the biggest gain sonically over the
> stock supply is simply due to the linearity? That's what it sounds like
> to me (no pun intended).

Yeah, see, this is where the problem comes in...

Sure you can get a 5V 1A linear regulated supply.  Will you hear any
difference between it and the stock supply?  Maybe, but any difference
will be subtle.

High-end fanatics tend to rave about very small effects, which gives
you the idea that the effect is much greater than it really can be.
Most of the so-called high-end tweaks will have at most, a subtle
effect, so subtle as to not be audible to many people.  This then begs
the question- does the effect exist anywhere but in the mind of the guy
who is raving about it?  When questioned the raver often becomes angry
about having his aural acuity challenged (high-end audio fanatics are
not known for having thick skin).

Everyone but the deaf can tell if the stereo is on or not by hearing
the sound.  But can we all tell if a linear regulator or a switching
regulator is being used?  So the issue is a matter of degree.  Some
will claim they can hear it.  Maybe they do, maybe they think they do;
the mind is easily fooled either way.

If you really want to get into it, you have to know that all analog
regulators are not created equal.  Some are very good, others, not so
good, depending on the load.  Simply throwing on an analog regulator
without regard to the specs/performance may get you a worse result than
using the stock switching regulator.

So try other supplies all you want, but don't expect huge improvements
in the sound quality.

TD

--
tyler_durden