CardinalFang wrote:

> Being able to easily change things isn't necessarily a good thing in a
> mature product.

That's where we disagree! :) While the product may be considered mature in
some sense (it is feature rich, stable, and relatively few bugs) I believe
it is a long way from the music server that people want. I think the market
is just working out what can be done with these things and there's a long
way to go before it becomes apparent what the market wants in terms of
features. I'm not criticising, I don't have a vision for what it should be,
I just believe that a lot will change in the coming years as more consumers
get exposed to the concept of music servers.

For that reason I think development flexibility and open development are the
most critical features to keep in any long term strategy. Of course that
doesn't preclude it being redeveloped in java, C#, c++, or cobol. But from
my point of view perl rates higher than the others on development
flexibility and so I'd like to retain it, especially for the server
management code. However the piece that I do believe is mature is the core
'music streaming' server and I can see some arguments for stripping it out
from the code that manages the collection and playlists.

Anyway, just my point of view.

Malcolm