Well I think I'm getting closer to the SB now.  Thanks for your input
guys.  I just bought myself an external DAC (an MHDT Paradisea) and
I've done some testing against my CPD (an Arcam CD23T).  Using the
Arcam as a full unit transport/DAC it is significantly better then
using my Paradisea fed by an optical out of my Audigy soundcard.
However, when I use the Arcam as transport, then the Paradisea DAC is
different but as nice if not nicer then the Arcam's internal DAC.  This
demonstrate that using my portable PC with Audigy soundcard as a
transport is no good against a reputable CDP transport.  So I have to
get a new transport that will be at least equivalent to my CDP and
hopefully the SB3 will do the job!

--
Loftprojection