Ben Diss Wrote:
> We all know Redbook doesn't provide any kind of data error correction.
That's simply not true. Audio CDs contain extensive redundant data
precisely for the purpose of correcting read errors, which happen *all
the time*. CDs simply wouldn't work without this mechanism. Granted,
audio format CDs don't have as much redundancy as data format CDs, but
they still have plenty. And when I say "correcting", I mean exactly
that - genuine replacement of the mis-read data with exactly what it
should be. Interpolation (ie. making up stuff to replace the missing
data) only comes into play if the read error is so severe that there is
not enough redundant data to reconstruct it. And as a general rule, most
undamaged audio CDs are read with zero uncorrectable errors by a
correctly performing CD player.

The whole issue of read errors on CDs (leading to some truely crackpot
ideas like treatments with green pens and Armor-All, and now this
"memory player") is a myth.

--
cliveb