azinck3 Wrote:
> A hard drive's digital performance is a non-issue in this discussion.
> Due to the error detection, correction, and redundancy throughout any
> properly designed computer, data is able to travel speedily and
> accurately to any component.  The hard-drive isn't the device that's
> generating the spdif stream.  The quality of the output device (be it
> the sound card or squeezebox or whatever) is what has to be called into
> question.  The output device is going to get perfectly accurate
> information in plenty of time, but if it's cheap it might not be able
> to lay down a very "pretty" spdif signal (poor edges, bad timing).

Oh, certainly I agree with that: but I'm not the one writing stuff
like:

stereotimes Wrote:

> Moreover, it stores songs on memory-based solid state, akin to using
> flash, which the guys from Nova state "induces nearly zero jitter and
> certainly less than a hard drive."

So, the claim is that flash memory has less jitter than a hard drive,
implying a hard drive has jitter that affects the audio stream...
heck, it implies flash does, too, just "less".  Next we'll have have to
find out which sort of dynamic RAM introduces jitter, and heck, may as
well claim Intel CPU's have less jitter than AMD (or is it the other
way around...)

(What they mean by storing it on "solid state, akin to using flash" is
interesting... that implies it is not flash, and it's not a hard
drive... what the heck, do they have 100G of battery backed DRAM in
there?  Oooh, or core!  I miss core!)

Pure snake oil.

--
snarlydwarf