Patrick Dixon;131047 Wrote:
> It makes no difference, you are still not inventing data.  I've spent
> the best part of 25yrs designing equipment that sample rate converts,
> filters and interpolates so I know a little about it!

Then can you explain it to me? :-)  How do you go from 44,100 data
points to 96,000 data points and not create data that did not exist
before?

> I didn't say it was the same I said it was akin - in that the flac file
> doesn't contain all the original samples at the original precsion of
> the wav file, but it does contains all the information never-the-less.
> The sampled digital signal is a representation of what the signal was in
> the analogue domain, and the mathematics define the limits of the
> 'accuracy' of that representation.  Interpolation, Upsampling and
> Oversampling don't invent any data, they simply represent the digital
> signal in another form.

I understand that.  However, if a process is using mathematics to
"guess" at what that digital signal looks like, then it is still
"making up data" that was not in the original sample.  The reason why
FLAC is not a good analogy IMHO is because FLAC starts with original
data, and then contains header/additional information used to decode
the compressed file to restore the original data.  In the case of
upsampling, there is no embedded information in the original 44.1khz
data that can be used to make the upsampling a mere "decoding to the
original waveform".  Companies like dCS have upsampling components that
let you select from a variety of "upsampling calculations"...essentially
letting you try out 5-6 of their best guesses and seeing which one you
like.

btw - here's an interesting whitepaper by dCS on "why high sample rates
sound better than low sample rates"

http://www.dcsltd.co.uk/technical_papers/aes97ny.pdf

--
PhilNYC