reeve_mike wrote:
Agreed in general, but I've used some nice vintage Neumann mics that go
way up high ...

This is way off topic, but which ones? And how vintage?
Most of the classic Neumann's like the U87 or M50 fall off pretty seriously. Now my KM184's go up high, but they aren't vintage.

Pat Farrell;131153 Wrote:
One of the better speakers of the era was the Quad 63

As an aside, I would claim that it is still a good speaker in this era

No argument from me. I just don't have a room suitable for a pair.

Pat Farrell;131153 Wrote:
All in all, I think that 44.1/16 was a good engineering choice at the time.

I think that it was a good (and at the time the only available) product
engineering choice  but I don't think that it was a good sound/music
engineering choice ...
:-O

Sound? Who cares about sound? Labels care about money.

Warner Bros just closed their Classical label:
http://www.stereophile.com/news/082106classical/

Soon it will be all Britney and hip-hop.

--
Pat Farrell         PRC recording studio
http://www.pfarrell.com/PRC