sbn;131574 Wrote:
> I've read that somebody warns against this (blows speakers if volume is
> set too loud etc) but then I discovered the Preamp attenuation feature,
> and I guess that this will get me some extra safety, so i'm not
> accidentially blowing my speakers or what?

Yes the CEO warns against using the preamp volume control as your only
form of attenuation.

The preamp attenuation feature should not be thought of as a safety
net. A glitch, that might cause white noise for example, would likely
be at full volume and not the desired attenuated volume.

Also, when using digital attenuation- less is more. When the SB is at
full volume you get bit perfect audio. Digitally attenuating the signal
is directly proportional to a loss of fidelity, which defeats the
purpose of moving away from receivers.

So if you want to go the direct to power amp route, you need an
external attenuator, and judicious use of the digital volume control-
knowing for serious listening the SB should be at full volume. SD staff
have suggested this one (fixed) before:
http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html , and
ezkcdude uses the Endler (variable) attenuators: which you'll have to
google for.

Or you could buy an 'integrated' amp- which is usually L/R channel as
well, but has a volume control and input selector built in.

Good luck and have fun!

--
Skunk