Skunk;131610 Wrote:
> Yes the CEO warns against using the preamp volume control as your only
> form of attenuation.
>
> The preamp attenuation feature should not be thought of as a safety
> net. A glitch, that might cause white noise for example, would likely
> be at full volume and not the desired attenuated volume.

Yeah i've read a little about that.. sounds scary, but maybe that bug
in the Xilinx could be fixed?

> Also, when using digital attenuation- less is more. When the SB is at
> full volume you get bit perfect audio. Digitally attenuating the signal
> is directly proportional to a loss of fidelity, which defeats the
> purpose of moving away from receivers.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=16720&highlight=sleeping+playlist

This guy thinks the sound is better at low output levels?

I've also read another thread where somebody's saying that the normal
volume control of the SB won't affect CD audio sound quality - becuse
the signal is 16 bit, the DAC uses 24 bit and therefore it can use the
least significant 8 bits for extra room so it doesnt have to throw away
data when lowering the volume...

--
sbn