Where were we before a certain member's interruption?  Right: the
Stereophile review.

I think Totoro is on the right track.  To make my point again...which I
am sure is fogotten by now...I'm of the school that differences in DACs
are, in fact, rather small.  Modern electronics are really, really good
-- mid-priced Sony or Pioneer CD players could easily be confused with
far higher-end material.

Now, suppose you have bit-perfect reception.  With the SB/Transporter,
that's the case.  Now, suppose you pipe that into much higher grade DAC
(the Transporter) without having to use cables and what not.  Assume
accurate clocking that essentially does away with jitter.  You now have
one heck of a product.

The only thing left to address, really, are the speakers and room.
Picking speakers for specific rooms is tricky, in my experience, and
treating rooms is either easy or next to impossible, depending on your
living situation.    Assuming reasonable speakers, the one thing you
CAN do is to introduce equalization.  A 2-5bd tweak in a critical
mid-range area and proper bass management will have far more impact
than fancy cables and...quite possibly...make more of a difference than
using an SB3 alone and an SB3 with DAC.  Anyway, that's my take on it.

I had the Behringer for a while, sold it, and got a graphic EQ.  Only
reason: I found the menus a bit fussy.  Having said that, I  know a
senior acoustic engineer who uses a Behringer 2496 in his $20k+ system.

--
highdudgeon

SB3->Nuforce 9.02->Harbeth Monitor 30s/Skylan stands and Quad ESL-988s.
Simple and satisfying.