I'm assuming your point is rhetorical, as it should be, because you're
right.  First of all, assuming -- assuming -- a DAC with a decent bit
of RAM and a re-clocking function, transport and cable are irrelevant,
so long as you are actually getting all the bits.  The Squeeze Box is a
bit perfect transport.  So is an inexpensive CD player from Best Buy.
Is the latter jittery?  Ya betcha; but that's the DAC, not the
Transport.   You can overbuild something until it is a Hummer, but that
doesn't really mean it's better...it just means you feel better.  This
is not rocket science.  People claim to hear all sorts of things,
including Bybee filters, Tice clocks, and very expensive cables.  As
I've mentioned elsewhere, Chuck Hinton, McIntosh's technical rep,
recommends using low voltage outdoor lighting cable, 14awg, for
speakers.  This with $10k amplifiers and even more expensive speakers.

Shoot-outs are interesting.  On pro audio circles -- and these are
people who actually understanding audio and make it their living -- for
instance, the Lavry DAC beats out all the competition, except, by a
slight margin for some, Lavry's $8,000 DAC.  It's even considered to be
on par with an Audio Prism $9.5k DAC.  I bought mine on sale for $855.
However, when you turn to some audiophile circles, people find they
prefer this or that, or need tube "buffers" and battery PSUs, etc.

According Lavry himself and others...for a 3 foot or under run (my
digital cable, from Blue Jeans Cable, is 2 feet) of cable, assuming a
well-made DAC, the cable itself is pretty much irrelevant.  Throw your
money at room treatments, EQ, room correction systems, etc. instead.

--
highdudgeon

SB3->Lavry DA10->Nuforce 9.02s->Harbeth Monitor 30s/Skylan stands.
Simple and satisfying.  In a larger room, I would move back to larger
speakers, subs, and probably RCS.