highdudgeon wrote:
 and there is silliness -- in TAS.  The magazine is worth
 it for their articles alone, which tend to be informed,
non-hyperbolic, and not about expensive cables and the rest.

I read TAS, and subscribe to it (not a freebie) for some of the articles. I also subscribe to Stereophile, The Audiophile Voice. I used to get $ensible $ound, and Listener.

EVERY audio magazine is, to a great or lesser degree, FOS.

You can broaden this. All consumer magazines (aka Buff Books) are FOS, they want to take 'fans' and tell them about the newest, coolest, greatest thing. Be it amplifiers, microphones, motorcycles, cameras, TVs, or cars.

The best thing about Car-and-Driver is that they regularly get four or six similar cars and test and rank them. This results in winners and losers, even if the losers are pretty good.

Far too many buff books just parrot the latest manufacturer's press releases. The worst was Motor Trend, where you could buy "Car of the Year" by purchasing sufficient amounts of advertising.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html