Quite true.  It really is bothersome to be the kind of person who
appreciates a device for its durability, mechanical interest, design,
and legacy, and then walk out into a world where 90% of the people who
own similar things are out to show off their good taste and deep
pockets.  But, horology is a personal interest, so there.

I have a personal rule: I don't spend more money on personal items than
I donate to good causes.  As a rule, I donate quite a bit more, in terms
of money and volunteer time.  And I still feel a bit guilty.

--
highdudgeon