Ben Diss;145961 Wrote:
> Let me speak to the specific differences I heard between the Transporter
> connected directly to the amp and the SB2/Lavry (w/high-end power cable)
> connected to the same amp with the same XLR cables.
>
> - It's really, really, really close.  If you don't have a super good
> environment and a very revealing system, I doubt you could A/B it in a
> short listening session.
>
> - Transporter had lightly wider soundstage with instruments a bit more
> precisely placed.  If I closed my eyes and tried to imagine exactly
> where an instrument was in front of me it was a narrower space with the
> Transporter, but only slightly.
>
> - Transporter resolved very high frequencies a tiny bit better.
> Background cymbals were more recognizable, for example.
>
> - Strong notes sustain better with the Transporter.  A bass drum hit
> with the same authority on both, but tended to trail off quicker with
> the Lavry.
>
> Overall, the Transporter is a tiny bit warmer to the Lavry's tiny bit
> more analytic nature.  If given the choice between the two for the same
> cost, there is no question I would take the Transporter.
>
> From a value comparison ($1300 vs. $2000) it's a tough call if it's
> worth the price difference on sound alone.  For me, the additional
> features of the Transporter are well worth the upgrade price.  I had
> only hoped that it would at least be as good as the Lavry and it
> certainly met that criteria so I'll be getting one.
>
> -Ben

Too bad the comparison was so brief. More information, preferable with
different people and setups required to evaluate what's going on in
real.
There are enough posts here and there describe that such subtle and
sometimes not that subtle changes may be caused by actually more jitter
or noise allied on specific frequencies, shaping psychoacoustic model of
the system towards what person thinks is "better". (I by no means claim
this is the case here, but theoretically this is possible; I just feel
we still don't have enough information to make an informed decision).

.

--
325xi

simaudio nova cdp >> simaudio moon i-5 >> revel performa m20 via
acoustic zen matrix reference ii and acoustic zen satori

-planned additions: sb3 >> deq2496 >> lavry da-10 >> ... or will it be
transporter?-