I want to submit some food for thought, this may create an opinions
storm, but that is part of the fun. Don’t forget it’s just a game.

There is nothing wrong with the SB3 DA converter. It sounds really
really good!
You DO NOT need an external DAC!
These is no problem with SB3 the noise level, blackness of the
background, tonal balance, nuances or whatever else.

It is true that most cheap DAC are un-listenable (I tried my Philips
$70 DVD player analog, ouch!) but the SB3 is not one of those.

Stop talking about this DAC vs. that DAC (unless you already got you
dedicated stereo listening room with partitioned air conditioning, but
this is an extreme case…)!

Chances are that your amp is under powered and you speakers are really
problematic.
For normal HIFI listening in a midsize room you need at least 120W
ch/8ohm. Yes I mean minimum. And do not even expect 120W to be able to
reproduce a single violin or grand piano (without obvious
compression/distortion) close to its intended volume.
How do I know? I had the grand piano + violin in the same room as the
stereo for years!
I can tell you that my sister violin is mighty powerful (not to mention
the KAWAI KG-5 GRAND PIANO).

I would say that 250/300w ch on 8ohm is what you need for a realistic
listening experience. Note that I do not expect the sensation of
loudness to be any higher than an 80w amp compressing dynamic on a
typical >$3000 speaker.

Speaking of speakers, where to begin? They are so full of sins that
hifi hell must reserve them the greatest (padded) room of all. Dead
speakers will be forced to hover in mid air, far from any reflecting
surfaces…

I arguing that the greatest room for improvement / $ ratio may not be
in the area that you are currently obsessing over. Chances are that
repositioning / upgrading you speakers and a decent “powerful” amp will
unleash some of the hidden 16 bits in a good old CD.

--
arge