Volume attenuation in the Transporter is digital, happening before the
DAC.  If you're running direct to a power amp, then you need some form
of analog attentuation for two reasons: 1) to protect your speakers in
case of some sort of failure (read Sean's posts on this) and 2) to
maintain your volume setting above the point where digital artefacting
would kick in because you're digging into the 16 bit word.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.