Actually, I wasn't clear.  The deal is that, without analog attenuation,
the thing is really, really, reall loud.  So, you turn it way down, and
that gets you, possibly, into a area of degradation.

Now, if you set analog attenuation, you can keep the digital volume up
without blowing your ears or speakers, and that also keeps you in the
safe zone.

I'm finding that -10db is right for my amps/speakers.

--
highdudgeon

Relax.  It's about the music.