Just took a look at the YouTube video of the Sooloos in action.

BlueBlast;149640 Wrote:
> First: Its not just a standard PC with a nice UI.  They did a fair
> amount of their own custom hardware as well as database work.
They may have done some custom hardware, but that doesn't mean what the
system achieves can't be done with commodity H/W. As for "database
work", presumably that means they designed a suitable schema (just like
the Slim Devices folks did). Nobody in their right mind would build
their own proprietary DBMS for such a device.

BlueBlast;149640 Wrote:
> Second: Its blazingly fast.  The response time is much much better than
> any Windows/Linux media server I saw at CEDIA.
Indeed it is. But what they achieve shouldn't be rocket science. Let's
be generous and say that the metadata + cover art for an album is as
much as 10kBytes. Even with a fairly large music collection of 10,000
albums, the total size is 100 MB, which can easily be completely cached
in RAM. Add to that a bit of intelligent pre-preparation of all the
possible next screens that can be linked to from the current one, and
you arrive at the very slick performance we see. But the point is that
it can all be done with off-the-shelf inexpensive hardware.

What this device *should* be doing is making people ask why so many
other media servers have such sluggish UIs (Slimserver, for example).
In my opinion, Slimserver is hobbled by the use of a web interface. It
doesn't matter how clever you get, the connectionless HTTP protocol is
a barrier to really snappy response. Sooloos have shown how much better
things can be using a well-crafted standalone application. Others should
take notice. Slimserver's UI could be made just as snappy if it were to
be rewritten from the ground up as a client server application - if it
were done in Java, it would still be platform independent.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?