adamslim;151361 Wrote:
> To throw a potential curve ball, the mains is usually much cleaner at
> night, as the people next door are not constantly flicking TV channel
> and switching the kettle on.  This might make a difference.
>
> (Although I would expect that difference to make them closer when the
> mains is better, if the reason for the difference is mains purity...)
>
> Who knows, eh? :)
Yes, yes, that could be one reason. But I have noticed this in the
afternoons as well. Also, I have noticed that some posters here have
mentioned that when they turn up the volume, the instrument sounds are
more real. This corroborates my experience when the ambient sound is
low.
People with dedicated listening rooms, but noise insulation and proper
room treatment always have a better sound, with comparable electronics.
I think, in my case, the power supply has to influence only the jitter
to make a difference in sound. The 'intrinsic' jitter of my amplifier
has to be comparable or lesser than that of my SB3 for me to hear a
difference in the reduction of jitter of my SB3. This could be a tough
thing to really discern.

--
SoftwireEngineer