highdudgeon;151495 Wrote:
> The best kind of amp, I think, is the kind of amp that will allow you to
> buy the best possible speakers within your overall budget.  There are
> differences in amps, to be sure, and they are especially obvious when
> comparing tube and solid state amps (which says something about amp
> construction, because ideally made amps should all sound alike).
> However, differences between speakers are vast.  I have had everything
> from $9 McIntosh MC-501s and a used $450 Carver A-500x paired with
> superlative Harbeth Monitor 40s and two Quads.  The changes in speakers
> made more of a difference and the differences between amps was
> shockingly nuanced.
>
> In short, take a look at your total budget, think about what you like
> in music, take your room into consideration, and then pick out some
> optimal speakers.  Buy a less expensive amp.  Then, when you have more
> budget flexibility, by a cooler-looking, longer-living, etc.,
> amplifier.  (I have nothing against buying something because you like
> the way it looks...so long as you're not totally throwing your money
> away.)
>
> Oh, and I would say this: maybe stay away from tube amps.  They don't
> have the same bass response and high resolution as well-made solid
> state amps.  I'm not dissing them, either -- I  own, and love, two tube
> amps.  However, the Transporter is an extremely high definition
> device...so you might as well let that come through.  You can always
> grab a tube amp (a vintage Mc is great) for a second piece down the
> road.  I like having tube gear around.

If you end up with high-efficiency speakers (eg. horns, like he owned
before), then tubes might be the ideal amplifier choice for him...I
know I certainly wouldn't run a pair of 100+db sensitive speakers with
a high-powered solid state or Class D amp!

--
PhilNYC

Sonic Spirits Inc.
http://www.sonicspirits.com