You won't believe this one either, but if you disturb any burned in
cable it will go through a very quick version of burn in. The effect is
small but repeatable in tests I have done - removing the cable, coiling
it up, uncoiling it and plugging it back in.  I don't profess to
understand it, but the listener subject, not knowing in which cycle it
was done could often identify some change in the sound - mainly in the
sound becoming a bit pinched and less spacious (the opposite of more
open).  I don't expect people to believe it because it is at first
unbelievable, but I know a number of no-bullshit experienced
audiophiles who find this uncontroversial.  The effect in these
circumstances is small.  But removing a cable for a couple of weeks,
replacing it with an identical cable for those two weeks, and then
reinserting the original cable results in a burn in period of about two
days - compared with a new cable wich can take more like two weeks
(playing music for say 6 hours a day).  I find it hard to understand
how it can be the conductors and have played around with naked
conductors and it does seem burn in is either not there or less
pronounced, but haven't done enough experiments to verify that.  I
guess I didn't see how that knowledge would be useful.

--
Jenks