ezkcdude;153380 Wrote:

> For those who want to learn more about how asynchronous sample rate
> conversion (ASRC) is done, and why it is so good at rejecting jitter,
> there's a great "tutorial" from a couple of years ago over at
> diyaudio:
> http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28814&perpage=10&pagenumber=1

I read this tutorial - it's quite interesting and extremely well
written.  The bottom line though is that this technique differs from
the standard DAC technique only in that the bandwidth of the PLL is
smaller.  In the thread he says it's around 3 Hz, which is pretty small
for audio frequency stuff, but I wonder what the comparable number is
for a standard S/PDIF PLL.  Knowing that would allow one to compare the
jitter rejecting capabilities of ASRC to a standard DAC.

So this technique does not completely eliminate jitter.  Contrast that
to the Lavry technique, or any true buffering-and-reclocking technique,
which totally eliminates it.

--
opaqueice