highdudgeon;157847 Wrote:
> If you get trained musicians to do it, specifically, it would get very
> interesting.  Why? Because these are people with far more ear training
> than any non-musician, and that includes audiophiles
I seem to recall that some years back it was noted that many
professional (classical) musicians in fact owned pretty low-end stereo
systems, and seemed perfectly happy with them. The hypothesis was that
these people's training meant that they could mentally "fill in" the
missing bits.

highdudgeon;157847 Wrote:
> There is this, too: audio systems are ultimately about re-producing a
> live (or produced) music experience.
We often hear this argument about live music, but I'm beginning to
doubt it, at least as far as rock music is concerned (which is my
poison of choice). Simple fact of the matter is that the actual sound
in a typical rock concert is dreadful. I mean really, really awful. I
certainly don't want to replicate that in my living room. Even at my
favourite venue (The Stables at Milton Keynes, which is *much* better
than most), the sound is still not really that good. (Of course, live
classical or acoustic jazz may very well be a different matter. It's
been years since I attended either).

I feel the purpose of an audio system is to create an enjoyable musical
experience at home. The chances of having a similar experience to what
you get at a live concert seems vanishingly small to me. That doesn't
mean that it can't be just as emotionally rewarding - just in a
different way.

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?