Me again. :)

My brother, a friend and myself went to Sevenoaks this morning as
planned, and here's what happened for anyone who's interested.

We listened to the Rotel RA-05 with Monitor Audio BR2 speakers. We were
expecting good things as they had received much praise from What Hi-Fi.
Verdit: nice detail, bass/presence boomy and muffled, and not very
powerful either. Hmm.

Onto the cheaper Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers: an improvement. Bass
was definitely more controlled as well as stronger. (I joked that we
had consistently preferred the cheapest speakers.) Feeling reasonably
happy with that combo, we decided to listen to some more expensive
speakers, just to compare...

I asked if they had the Epos M5 speakers in, but they didn't. However,
they were willing to sell the last set of Epos M12.2 speakers they had
(which apparently had never left the shop and only had light demo use
for £400. In came the pair, on Partington Super Dreadnought stands.

And that was that. We had to buy them - so much more power, and even
more detail. The sound was rich, but controlled, and did an awesome job
of our classical, electronic and rock music.

Having decided on the speakers, that left the choice of amp. They had a
special offer on a display Arcam A80 (£500), which was nice as we
would've paid this for the A70 at the other shop. I much prefer the
Arcam styling and remote, so was hoping that I would like the sound
too. And it sounded good, but not as good. The assistant then proposed
a quick listen to the Rotel RA-06, it being the same price as the A80
offer. Listening to that confirmed we preferred the less warm,
clearer/sharper rendering of Rotel. Whether or not it was worth going
for the RA-06 instead of the RA-05 I don't know, but anyway...

Here's what we ended up with:

Rotel RA-06 amplifier, silver (£500)
http://europe.rotel.com/series06/specs/ra06.htm

Epos M12.2 speakers, dark cherry (£450)
http://www.epos-acoustics.com/products.asp?logging=122&lookup=m12.2

Super Dreadnought speaker stands (£150)
http://www.partingtonandco.co.uk/sd.html

QED Silver Anniversary XT Bi-Wire speaker cable, 4m and 3m (£70)
http://www.qed.co.uk/i327c159-158/QED_Cables/Speaker_Cables/Silver_Anniversary_XT_Bi-wire.htm

QED APNX Airloc 4mm Banana plugs (£70)

I understand the stands, cable and plugs were discounted as part of the
overall deal.

Now all we need is a Squeezebox, and in the longer-term a better
storage/server machine to feed it. (Where have all the Squeezebox 3
Wireless models gone? Everywhere online seems to be out of stock.)

Thanks again for your advice everyone. I feel that we've ordered the
basis of a system in which we'll find much enjoyment. Will let you know
how we get on with it when it's all set up.

--
Impeller