I have a Entech 203.2 external DAC that I would like to use with my SB3.
I also want to use the digital volume control on my SB3. Now I
understand that the "safe" range with the digital volume control is
about 40-100, because the Squeezebox uses 8 bits for volume information
(from 24 bits).

But what happens when I send the signal to a 20-bit DAC? Will I lose
any info from my music if I drop the volume down to 40? Is (say) 70-100
a safer range? Or does a 20-bit external DAC not affect things at all?

Apologies if this is a dumb question. :)

--
jonhdahl