Thanks for your time trying to help me understand this. I am sorry if
everyone else thinks this is clear, and I'm confusing the issue.

Patrick Dixon;164966 Wrote:
> No, I'm not saying that!  At 100, the digits will be passed through
> untouched, it's only if you reduce volume you can loose resolution.Yes, I
> realise that at 100 volume, the squeezebox will pass the digits
through without degrading the signal - I am trying to understand the
following two points, which to me, seem contradictory (ignoring reduced
SNR):
"Yes, you only maintain all the resolution of the original 16 bits by
using all 24 bits - so truncating to 20 will loose you some
information."
and
reducing the digital volume will NOT take out information from the
original signal, providing the input signal is 16 bit audio and you
don't go lower than (IIRC) -35dB

Thanks

--
Triggaaar