Pat Farrell;179027 Wrote:
> agentsmith wrote:
>
> > Also, a "clean" track like Dire Straits "Love Over Gold" would be
> very
> > nice
>
> I'm not a great fan of using Dire Straits for critical comparison. The
>
> tunes are good, and the recording is excellent, but their music has a
> lot of distortion in the guitars and synths in the rhythm, which is
> very
> hard to judge.
>
> I prefer vocals, typically jazz trios, such as Patricia Barber's Modern
>
> Cool. Or acoustic guitar, perhaps with vocals. Either of these are more
>
> likely to have no electronic "enhancement" on the recorded tracks.
>
> Solo piano playing classical works is also very revealing, but I'm not
>
> as much of a fan of that type of music.
>
> --
> Pat
> http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html

The older Dire Straits albums sound surprisingly good on a very good
system  Large, deep sound stage (real or not) and good dynamics (some
kick and crack in those drums).

I agree that there must be many much better recordings to use. I just
suggested something that a lot of people are likely to have and which
sounds way better than most other popular stuff.

--
P Floding

No, I didn't ABX it. And I won't even if you ask me. (Especially not if
you ask me.)