P Floding;179077 Wrote:
> So you can distinguish 128 kbps mp3 from 16/44?
> Where is the bitrate limit when it sounds perfect? Does it start to
> sound perfect, or does it happen suddenly at a certain bitrate? Is
> there a sliding scale, or is it the same for everyone, you reckon?

I haven't experimented that much because I don't see any good reason
not to use lossless files for the SB.  I did play with 192 VBR when I
was deciding which format to use with my ipod and found it hard to
distinguish from FLAC (so that's what I decided to use).  My sound card
really is pretty crappy - for example there's a high noise floor that
depends quite a bit on what the computer is doing - but I'd be
surprised if anyone can tell, say, 256 or 320 kbs MP3 from lossless, on
a normal musical selection.

--
opaqueice