GaryB;179017 Wrote:
> All of my dearly held world assumptions are crumbling.
>

> Totoro is lecturing people on civility???
>
> Occam is being held up as a model of temperate response and Philnyc is
> now the impolite one?
>
> Next thing you'll tell me is that the Pope isn't Polish.
>
> ---Gary

Hmm-- "lecturing" might be a bit of a strong word for it.

If I'm so terribly incivil, perhaps you would like to point out to me
where I have crossed the line: as far as occam goes, I think my last
post covered it.

Until I see otherwise, I'll just guess that you've defined "civility"
as creatively as you've defined "experiment" and "scientific method"
(ok, maybe that last one wasn't so much creative as just a
regurgitation of something you heard in 7th grade, and didn't bother to
update :)).

But seriously, the "if you did a (somewhat) controlled experiment and
your paticipant(s) didn't hear the results of (lambda x. tweak x), then
they must have cloth ears" is the oldest one in the book. At least occam
spared us that.

To pull an occam, I think some people need to read the Harry
Frankfurter book "On Bullshit".

He makes the distinction that bullshit has no relation to the truth,
whereas lies at least contradict it. We're pretty clearly in bullshit
territory here, IMHO.

--
totoro

squeezebox 3 -> mccormack dna .5 -> audio physic tempo 4