I have done side-by-side testing of the coax and optical digital outputs
from my SB3, running into the same DAC (a Dodson 263, which does not
have a jitter buffer), listening through a very revealing pair of AKG
K1000 headphones. I repeatedly switched back and forth between the two
connections at random moments in numerous pieces of music. I was unable
to detect any sonic difference whatsoever between the two.

I'm using the optical connection in my system now. One big advantage of
optical is that it galvanically isolates the components, so there is no
chance of forming a ground loop. Maybe over a number of years, the
optical LED in the SB3 will wear out, but then I could just switch over
to coax, or buy a new SBx.

--
TiredLegs