Phil Leigh;184337 Wrote:
> Now look, you know full well that cable-induced jitter is related to the
> length of the cable and this is different for coax and toslink...so how
> are you going to compare apples with apples?
>
> :0)

Lol Phil you jumped my point here and I was creeping up on it so
nicely!

So I will amend my post to say "equal length" cables. Then, what you
will have is a test of the native jitter of the cable and we can
discuss plastic fibre dispersion vs electrical impedance cable loading,
and its gonna be tiny either way. And you have the transmitter/receiver,
which is also tiny. But his question is not about impact, its about the
underlying medium. I am just trying to clarify that is his in fact his
question.

I think what is going on here is that there are lots of audiophile
posts of "jitter is bad" "toslink is bad". And so the natural
engineering question is "what is the intrinsic differnece between the
two". Its a fair question. It just doesn't answer the reason for all
the audiophile comments about toslink.

I had somewhat the same questions myself when I first started looking
into this area.

--
Eric Carroll

Transporter-Bryston 3B SST-Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v.4
SB3-Rotel RB890-B&W Matrix 805
SB3-Pioneer VSX-49TXi-Mirage OM7+C2+R2
ReadyNAS NV+