325xi;184284 Wrote:
> Interesting, my understanding is quite opposite... Eric mentioned that
> consumer Toslink does have higher jitter, but because of his assumption
> we can't perceive jitter less

He stated what *really* matters: The identical framing protocol
(S/PDIF) runs on top of both optical and coax, meaning you'll get
identically timed data out of the two - whatever jitter there is at a
physical layer is immaterial. The clock is embedded into the signal via
BMC. BMC provides a very solid clock for synchronization. The jitter
thus doesn't matter, nor does noise in coax, by the way - this is
digitally encoded data and thus remarkably noise resistant.

So if technology is your religion, the conclusion you should arrive at
it that it does not matter whether you use optical or coax in
identically designed systems.

The problem with coax may be ground issues, which is why I stick to
optical where I can (despite the fact grounding issues and whatever
resulting hum can be solved rather easily should they be there).
Provides better isolation, and one less thing to worry about. And I use
decent optical cables simply for long term reliability and peace of
mind, even though there's no way anyone could hear a difference between
one and the other, in my humble opinion. I use Kimber between the SQB
and the Accuphase's DA because Kimber use multistrand optical fiber,
which short of quartz-based is the best you can hope for when it comes
to optical transmission. And the connectors are nice and tight.

Engineering mind in place, it's S/PDIF, at the media does not matter an
ounce when it comes to the resulting signal.

And as was suggested - if you're not willing to go for listening tests,
it should matter even less. :-)

--
pablolie