jhm731;184315 Wrote:
> The SQ difference has nothing to do with cables or connections.
>
> If you can't hear a difference between the SB and your CDP, something
> must be wrong with your "chain" or your hearing.

This eventually became rather pointless... Try to analyse why can two
digital sources sound differently, assuming both are in working
condition, so data stream is bit-accurate?

One simple word - jitter. Applied to various parts of spectrum in
different amounts your chains may sound somewhat different.

If the effect is well pronounced, your DAC doesn't have a good jitter
rejection mechanism, although the latter can never eliminate jitter in
full. If so, I would be looking for another DAC - or stick with very
low jitter sources.

Now, SB is confirmed to have reasonably low jitter, and transporter -
even lower. If your Pioneer sounds vastly different, it can mean that
it has either significantly higher jitter, and then it can be
considered flawed; or it's low, but applied to the part of spectrum
where it more audible (the same could be valid for SB as well).

Important thing to consider - sometimes, quite rarely, jitter can cause
delusion of better sound. I don't know if this is the case.

--
325xi