Apple Lossless (ALAC) is a good compromise to save disk space and to
allow full tagging and artwork. iTunes can work with Wav files and
covert your files to ALAC. The process is completely reversible (at
least that's what I've been told, I haven't tried it). And you can set
your Slimserver to decode ALAC on the fly to either FLAC or WAV for
"broadcasting" to the network. I've tried both and see (hear) no
difference. My network is strong and tests out over 5 mbs between the
computer and my SB3 via the Slimserver throughput test. So, I went with
ALAC to WAV conversion in Slimserver.

--
creativepart