My understanding from the description of the problem is that the hum is
not very loud; just noticable and annoying. It is largely masked when
music is playing. If that it right, then I have doubts as to whetehr
this really is a broken screen between the Squeezebox and Nait. If
there were no screen connection, then I'd expect to get a very loud
hum.

So before anyone goes to the bother of making up special cables with
plugs on the end, it's worth doing some simple experiments. Seems we
have two Naits involved in this thread. Ned's is a Nait 5, which had
DIN input sockets, while jsunandmax's is a Nait 5i, which has RCAs as
well as DINs.

For the Nait 5 with only DIN sockets:
Take a wire, attach a crocodile clip (aka alligator clip) to one end.
Straighten out a paper clip, grab it with the crocodile clip, and
carefully insert it into the centre pin of one of the DIN inputs. Now
touch the other end of the wire to the outer ring of the Squeezebox's
COAX digital output socket.

For the Nait 5i, you don't need the crocodile clip and paper clip: just
get a wire and touch one end to the outer ring of one of the Nait's RCA
input sockets, the other to the COAX ditial output on the Squeezebox.

What we're hoping to hear is the hum disappear. If it does, then you
need to rig up a permanent connection using actual plugs. But as I said
above, it wouldn't surprise me if this isn't the problem. A lowish level
hum sounds more to me as if the whole shooting match is floating: in
other words, maybe the Nait's ground isn't actually connected to the
mains ground. If you've got a multimeter or continuity tester, check
that the ground pin of the Nait's mains plug is actually connected to
the screens on its input sockets. If it isn't, then try hooking up a
wire between an input socket screen and the mains ground - but be very
careful that you don't inadvertantly connect up to the live mains pin!

--
cliveb

Performers -> dozens of mixers and effects -> clipped/hypercompressed
mastering -> you think a few extra ps of jitter matters?