Hypnotoad;206025 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting a better paying job and want to waste my money on audio
> equipment! Help me.
>
> I plan to rip all of my CDs, put them on an external hard drive and get
> a Transporter (which I would operate from my MacBook Pro).
>
> So far, so good, I hope.
>
> I'm then thinking about using the Transporter to directly feed the
> PrimaLuna Monoblocks (Prologue 6 or 7). Then, from this, drive Gallo
> Reference 3.1. Totaly cost of the system is around $7500 (with the
> Transporter).
>
> Does this sound like a good set up? I figure I could later upgrade the
> system by buying a good pre-amp, the Gallo amp (which effectively adds
> a sub-woofer to the Gallo's), a good stand, etc. Do you think there
> would be a better way to spend $7500 on music equipment?
>
> I listen to a lot of reggae, jazz, soul, some hip hop, some rock,
> various latin and african music. I'm a music freak. I want awe and
> musicality without changing the character of the music (by making it
> lush, etc.). I want good. And I want convenient, which is why the
> PrimaLuna autobiasing tubes is particularly appealing (although it is
> too bad they don't have balanced inputs).
>
> Any advice or thoughts greatly appreciated!

I'm assuming you already did your homework, listened to bunch of setups
and this is what you like the best. In that case, no comment. Just make
sure you use some hardware attenuation.

If you didn't ... well, for the kind of money you intend to spend, I'd
plan on two months of extensive audioning. And if you are going to do
that, make sure you check out planar speakers.

--
slimkid

The sound stage will open up, bass will tighten and the imaging will
improve. DVD performance will also increase substantially.