Hi Sean

thanks for your (as usual) helpful commentary.

I'd just like to chip in with some thoughts: you've described well why
a scanning feature is not likely to be forthcoming, and also the
difficulty with transcoded formats.

Having read many of the same threads as you obviously have, I think
this leaves at least one problematic area still to discuss - the UI.

If you start from the premise that the FF/RWD function that we have is
all we are going to have, I think there is still a legitimate concern
over the way we access it (the overloading of the FF/RWD buttons with
the skip functions, short and long presses...).  Quite a few people
find this hard to use - this includes me, though personally I'm not
that bothered as its not a feature I consider critical.

Just separating Skip and FF/RWD buttons on your next remote (as was
suggested in a recent thread, can't find it for now) would help.

Ceejay

--
ceejay